Skimboarding has been a fun sport since the 1920s when the sport originated in California. Skimboarding has grown commercially and gained popularity over the years. The sport developed in such a short period of time, it often feels like we are still in ‘The Golden Age of skimboarding’. Over the decades, Skimboarding transformed from a casual beach pursuit to a commercial phenomenon, sweeping both shores and hearts. With modern tools and equipment, the Skimboarding industry has expanded both in the market and production. Today we can find various companies that produce Skimboards and other related equipment.
Through this article, we aim to provide you with the list of 7 Best skimboarding brands in 2023 along with their most popular skimboards so far. You will also get to know a quick history of these brands and where they are based.
The Best Skimboard Brands in 2023
To determine the 7 best skimboard brands for beginners to pro Skimboarders, we conducted thorough research & had several conversations with the community of skimboarders throughout the globe. Through this, we made a note of all the pros & cons & their overall experiences with the skimboards of different brands. We then took into account various factors such as price ranges of the products, quality comparisons, durability claims by the brands, and disposal methods before shortlisting this list of some of the best skimboard brands.
7. Exile Skimboards
The team at Exile Skimboards LLC has a passion for the sport and an unwavering commitment to excellence. Exile Skimboards LLC was officially born in the Spring of 2002. It’s been 2 decades for them in the skimboard industry which makes them one of the most trusted brands. Started from Laguna Beach, California, Now their boards are finding homes in numerous corners of the globe.
Aaron Peluso and Andy Chiavetta, the founders were inspired by their love of the sport and their desire to create a company that would offer quality products at affordable prices. Their goal was to not only elevate the quality of these boards but also to broaden the accessibility of skimboarding to enthusiasts worldwide. The endeavor of the founders resulted in the establishment of the Exile Skimboard in 2002, to proudly support some of the most accomplished skimboarders worldwide, including luminaries like Blair Conklin, Daniel Nuzzi, and Alex Raban.
Official Website: https://exileskimboards.com/
Best of the Exile Skimboards – Small EX1 E-Glass Epoxy Skimboard
Features of Small EX1 E-Glass Epoxy Skimboard
- Dimensions being 51.50″ x 19.75″ – 100 – 155 lbs.
- This skimboard has the best-selling hybrid shape which won’t disappoint you.
- Extra reinforcement is included to withstand the harshest conditions. Extra reinforcement is basically the additional layers of material that are added to the skimboard to make it stronger and more durable.
- Epoxy Resin System – It is a strong and durable adhesive that is used to bond the layers of the skimboard together
- Rails that are boxy and “tuned down” for a more forgiving ride
- Glossy Showroom finish – This means the raised edges on the sides of the board that provide more stability.
- 3/4″ Tapered to 5/8″ Thickness
6. Victoria Skimboards
Next up, we have the Victoria Skimboards. Victoria is a surfboard manufacturing brand coming from the same origin as Exile Skimboards, Laguna Beach, California. Tex Haines and Peter Prietto led the foundation of the company and they have been making Surfboards/Skimboards since 1976. They are inspired by the ocean, the waves, and the lifestyle of surfing. Victoria’s boards are made from 100% Canadian Maple, with a single-grain pattern to provide a unique feel and durability for all types of riders. The boards are designed for all types of riding including wakeboarding, kiteboarding, and longboarding. Victoria also makes skateboards as well as some accessories like helmets and knee pads for your board!
Official Website: https://ocean.victoriaskimboards.com/
Best of the brand – Victoria Skimboards Woody XL
Features- of Victoria Skimboards Woody XL
- The ultimate board for beginners to practice
- available in sizes xs, s, m, l, and xl with different dimensions of each.
- Best-selling rounded pin shape
- polyester Resin with hardwood board
- Rails are soft and boxy to give you an unforgettable ride
- Hand-painted art glossy finish
- 3/8″ Thickness
5. Fedmax skimboards
Moving on to another popular brand Fedmax Skimboards. Fedmax skimboards are one of the best brands in the industry. They have been around for a long time and they have created a lot of buzz in the surfing community. The company was started by Rick Foreman who wanted to make a Skimboards that would be affordable and fun for everyone to use. Fedmax Skimboards also comes from Southern California and is fairly younger than it’s competitors, started back in 2012.
The company offers a wide range of skimboards, from beginner boards to competition board along with that they offer a variety of resources to help people learn to skimboard, including instructional videos and articles
Official Website: Let us know if that exists!
Best of the brand- Fedmax Skimboard with Carbon Fiber Tips and Fiberglass Body Hybrid
Features of Fedmax Skimboard
- Included are traction pads.
- Fiberglass and carbon fiber are lightweight materials.
- Suitable for both beginners and intermediates.
- Comes with a guide to the ultimate tricks and tips
- Dimensions – 48 In. (130lbs. to 160lbs.)
- Comes with 3 pieces of EVA foam grips as well.
4. Zap Skimboards
Introducing the next contender the Zap Skimboards. Zap Skimboards is one of the most established and recognizable names in skimboarding, Started in 1983 at Venice, Florida by Bob Smetts because of the passion he developed for the sport while growing up in Venice. A company started in the backyard went on to become one of the leading skimboarding brands today.
Sheer high quality and innovative design is what made Zap skimboards one of the most established and recognizable names.
Official Website: https://www.zapskimboards.com/
Best of the brand- ZAP CORE SKIMBOARD
Features of ZAP CORE SKIMBOARD
- 6 amazing color options
- popular wedge series shape with a great price
- Easy to handle EPS core for beginners as well as experts . It means the boards are made with lightweight and buoyant foam that makes the board easy to float.
- E-Glass finish wrap
- Epoxy resin system ( Explained above )
- 5/8″ thickness
3. Wave Zone Skimboards
Turning our spotlight to the Wave Zone Skimboards. Wave Zone Skimboards was founded by Jeff Shinham in 1990 in Manatee County, Florida. The brand originally started as a sportswear brand that took inspiration from surf culture. The feature we’ve been mentioning above ” epoxy resin” was introduced by a very few brands back then, Wave Zone being one of those brands.
Wave Zone is a brand that stands for quality, affordability, and good customer service. They have been around for years and have grown from their humble beginnings in Florida to a global presence with over 1,000 locations worldwide.
Official Website: https://wavezoneskim.com/
best of the brand – Glide skimboard
Features of Glide skimboard
- Best-selling shape trusted by thousands of riders
- High-density core and precisely graduated shape ( This primarily indicates how strong the board is and can tackle rough conditions as well. )
- A strong choice for multiple skill levels.
- High-density, level 2 PVC foam core.
- Power rods.
- Strategic reinforcement points and double poly-wrapped rails
- Multiple color and size options are available
2. DB Skimboards
Without a doubt, DB skimboards deserve mention here DB skimboard was founded in 2003 by Richard Docter with a mission to create the best skimboards in the world. He has created many different types of skimboards, including his signature “DB” which is a hybrid between a traditional board and a freestyle board.
The influence of the brand DB skimboard was so much so that the Sport Skimboarding also grew with the brand. Along with popularizing the sport, the company has sponsored many professional skimboarders and competitions. Based on Seattle, Washington, DB is one of the biggest names in Skimboarding sport not just in USA but across the globe.
Official Website: https://dbskimboards.com/
Best of the brand- DB Skimboards Standard Streamline Skimboard
Features of DB Standard Streamline Skimboard
- Comes in two sizes, Medium (41.4″x19.63″) and Large (43.4″x20.5″)
- Continuous micro concave – This means skimboard that has a slight concavity (curve) down the center of the board, from the nose to the tail. It is designed to help the board track better and generate more lift.
- Rocker- perfect mix of amplitude and curvature
- 3D Rocker & Precision Lamination
- Constructed with a stiff 5-ply hard rock maple core
1. South Bay Board Company
Last but not least, the South Bay Board Company. Sophia Cecola, the founder of South Bay Board, started the company with the aim of providing people with high-quality surfboards and other beach essentials at an affordable price. The brand offer everything from surfboards to wetsuits, aims at becoming one-stop shop for all things water sports.
From starting in 2018 in Garden Grove, California to expanding across the country, the company has become popular for it’s quality, innovation and competitive pricing.
Official Website: https://www.southbayboardco.com/
Best of the board- Performance Foam Textured Deck Skimboard
Features of Performance Foam Textured Deck Skim Board
- Dimensions – 41″x17″x.5″
- Perfect for new skimboarders, from kids to adults.
- Longer tear-drop shaped body for focused performance
- Wide tail and center for easy foot placement
- Epoxy resin system ( Explained above )
- The deck is soft foam and wax free
I am Fornillos Bogs, a seasoned professional surfer and accomplished skimboarder originally from Tanauan, Leyte, Philippines. With a remarkable background in both sports, I have carved my niche in the aquatic world. Currently, I reside in Quezon City, Philippines, known for my exceptional skills on the waves and impressive performances in skimboarding competitions. My journey from the serene shores of Tanauan to the bustling city of Quezon City serves as an inspiring testament to my dedication and passion for riding the waves.